Metformin- Uses and Side Effects
Metformin is basically a drug or medication used to cure Diabetes (especially type 2 diabetes). Metformin comes under the class of drugs called biguanides. Metformin mainly controls the amount of sugar(glucose) level in the blood. Metformin helps to decrease the amount of glucose anyone absorbs from the food and also the amount of glucose produced by the liver.
The molecular mechanism of metformin is quite different and tough to understand. Many types of potential mechanisms of action have been proposed for metformin-
- Hindrance of the mitochondrial respiratory chain.
- Activation of e (AMPK).
- Metformin also inhibits the secretion of bases from the pituitary gland of growth hormone.
- Metformin also acts as an inducer of energetic stress, in cancer cells.
- Metformin is basically used to cure high blood sugar levels that are caused by a type of diabetes called type 2 diabetes. In this type of diabetes, insulin (produced by the pancreas) is not able to get sugar into the body cells where insulin can work properly and effectively.
- Metformin also helps in Lowering glucose efficacy, reducing the risk of hypoglycemia, and reducing body weight (mildly), easily combine with almost any other glucose-lowering agent, easily available, and is available at a very low cost.
- Controlling blood sugar metformin also prevents kidney damage, nerve problems, blindness, loss of limbs, and sexual function problems.
- By controlling diabetes, metformin also lessens the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Metformin helps the body to restore the response of the body to insulin.
- Metformin also helps the body to absorb sugar produced by the stomach, intestines, and liver.
- Usually, metformin is taken by mouth once daily with the evening meal or as directed by the doctor.
- While using metformin, drink plenty of fluids.
- Always take the proper dosage as directed by the doctor or physician.
- Always remember to use medication at the same time and every day.
- While using this medication, regularly check your blood sugar levels and share results with the doctor.
- Continuous use of metformin makes anyone feel physically weak, also known as the condition of asthenia.
- Diarrhea is basically a condition of loose, watery, and more frequently than usual stool is one of the most common side effects of metformin.
- Sometimes the metformin-taking person feels stomach ache problems.
- Loss of appetite and a metallic taste in the mouth are also some of the side effects of metformin.
- Infection in the upper respiratory tract and flatulence(gas problem) is also caused by excess use of metformin.
- Excess use of metformin also decreases the vitamin B-12 levels in the blood.
Metformin comes under the category of a complex drug with multiple sites of action and with multiple molecular mechanisms. Metformin acts directly or indirectly on the liver to lower glucose or sugar production and acts on the colon to increase glucose utilization and alter the microbiome.
We Specialty Care Clinics help you to understand the mechanism of metformin and provide you with the best medications for diabetes and the best outcome from the medications. If anyone of you has diabetes or need consultation on the uses of metformin, connect with us at 469-545-9983